Location: Plainfield, NJ
The Community Health Worker will be responsible for street outreach and condom distribution for the i-Matter program in
Union and Essex County. He/She will be responsible for street outreach activities including the distribution of HIV prevention
education materials and testing information, provide escorting for testing or connection to care services as needed, record
and assist in data collection and provide feedback to the Program Managers on ways to improve the effectiveness of the
program and the response rate. Additionally, the Community Health Worker will be responsible for distributing condom
packages during outreach and on a regular basis to participating local businesses/organizations, and conducting interviews
with community members for the i-Matter program.
- Provide community based education and street outreach to reduce the risk of HIV/AIDS by providing HIV/AIDS education and resource information and materials to the English/Spanish speaking population and engage/recruit potential clients into the i-Matter program; participate in health fairs and distribute condom packages during outreach as required.
- Cultivate relationships with community members and gatekeepers, to effect community-level behavior change, as part of the i-matter program.
- Present Iris House programs and services to other community based organizations, such as medical and service providers and HIV care network organizations, to cultivate and maintain linkage agreements for reciprocal services and to generate referrals for Iris House HIV/AIDS services.
- Distribute condoms on regular basis to participating local businesses/organizations and track and record site distribution amounts; keep track on condom inventory and ensure sufficient supply to meet program needs.
- High School degree or one year of experience providing community outreach & group facilitation.
- Minimum of one (1) year of outreach experience working with hard-to-reach populations
- Knowledge and understanding of HIV prevention, treatment and care
- Written and oral fluency of both English is preferred
- Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred
- Facilitate group & individual sessions
- Record program related data in EXCEL spreadsheet and SPARS database management
- Provide HIV/STI testing
- Conduct client referrals & follow-up appointments
- Excellent communication skills; must be proficient in the use of personal computers
- Ability to travel independently in and knowledge of both Union and Essex Counties
- MUST be available to work after 5pm and on week-ends at Program Manager’s request