City Light (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) is a venture capital firm that invests early in impactful companies. We partner with experienced teams building category-defining solutions in the areas of education, safety and care, and the environment — where more revenue equals better lives at scale, every time. As one of the earliest and most successful impact investing firms, City Light has a track record of identifying and scaling impact in ways that build better companies. Some key portfolio investments are 2U, Inc., parent company of edX (Nasdaq: TWOU), ShotSpotter (Nasdaq: SSTI), Trilogy Education, Omnidian, and Ginger.
City Light takes a highly data-driven approach to all of our decision-making. Data Scientists work across the organization to build out our proprietary data analytics platform called “The Machine”. “The Machine’’ ingests data from over 10 sources of information and performs sophisticated analytics to assist the City Light Investment Team in sourcing, evaluating, and winning new deals. Additionally, City Light leverages “The Machine” to help our portfolio companies gain advantages in the marketplace by assisting them in recruiting top talent, searching for acquisition targets, and identifying potential competitors, among other things.
City Light Capital is seeking an energetic, passionate, and intellectually curious Data Scientist to join our data analytics team. As a Data Scientist at City Light, you will work on a wide variety of meaningful projects including, but not limited to, NLP, web scraping, front-end web development, machine learning, and predictive analytics. The projects you work on will directly and meaningfully contribute to the success of City Light, our portfolio companies, and the customers they serve.
- Leverage critical thinking and problem solving to deliver impactful and actionable insights to the City Light investment team
- Deliver effective presentations of findings and recommendations to key stakeholders, creating visual displays of quantitative information.
- Identify and build new use cases for “The Machine” that meaningfully add value to City Light and its portfolio companies
- Degree in Data Science, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Familiarity with programming for data analysis and data visualization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ideal Personal Attributes:
- Passionate about the City Light mission
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- Team player and quick learner
- Impeccable work ethic
- Willingness to learn new skills when required