Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities – ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a Firmware Release Manager Intern who will be responsible for assisting with the management of the firmware releases for our embedded/IoT devices. If you love technology, and are keen to join an industry leader — we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll do:
As an Embedded Developer Intern your key area of responsibility will be implementing new logic into the GO device firmware, programming primarily in C and Python. You will work in one or several of many areas of focus depending on your experience including GPS, Modem, Accelerometer, Vehicle Data, Security and more. Part of this role includes utilizing Geotab’s big data environment to analyze the effectiveness of changes implemented and to help troubleshoot and find issues. You will need to work closely with your colleagues on the Embedded Systems Team, as well as Solution Engineering, Software Development and key leadership stakeholders.
To be successful in this role you will have a keen eye for the details to consistently adhere to coding standards and perform peer QA and code reviews. Being inquisitive and constantly looking for a new technical challenge or to use a new tool will also contribute to your success. In addition, the successful candidate will have strong communication skills, in their technical documentation, collaboration with teammates, and with providing technical support to other Geotab teams.
- 8, 12 or 16-month work-term length beginning in January 2024.
- Full-time, paid internship (Monday – Friday, 37.5 hrs/week).
- Your first week at Geotab begins with ‘GEO Launch’ – a one week Employee Orientation. Click here to learn more!
- Learn more about the Geotab Campus Program here.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the GO device firmware and how all the modules work.
- Perform firmware development in the required area of expertise (modem, GPS, vehicle data, security, etc) using C as per the development standards.
- Write SQL queries and Python scripts on data from Google BigQuery to determine device health and effectiveness of new functionality.
- Write unit tests and perform integration and system-level testing in both real and simulated vehicles, to demonstrate that new features meet design requirements.
- Conduct comprehensive testing and code reviews to ensure that industry coding standards are followed.
- Keep up-to-date documentation for all your areas of responsibility.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- Completing a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechatronics, Computer Engineering or a related field
- Strong knowledge of programming languages (C/C++) in an embedded software context.
- Well versed in modern scripting languages (e.g. Python) is highly valued.
- Familiar with data structures, algorithms, and design patterns common to embedded (resource-constrained) systems development.
- Linux development and/or knowledge is an asset.
- Strong team-player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization.
If you got this far, we hope you’re feeling excited about this role! Even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.