Location: Remote with preference for Florida, but open to strong candidates elsewhere.
At this time, FLVS is only considering candidates who possess a teaching certification issued by the State of Florida within the content area specified below. PLEASE NOTE: Your application will expire one year from the time of submission. Please feel free to apply to any other positions for which you may qualify.
The Instructor provides an educational atmosphere where students have the opportunity to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth. The Instructor organizes and implements an instructional program that results in students achieving academic success in accordance with FLVS and state policies and laws.
At Florida Virtual School (FLVS), we value our diverse and dedicated team of instructors and support staff. Our values of excellence, innovation, community, balance, and communication create a work environment in which everyone feels confident and appreciated. FLVS does more than just talk about our values; we live them and rely on them to be the foundation of everything we do.
We recognize that without the instructors and staff who comprise our team, we would not be able to give our students the educational experience they deserve. Whether you’re part of our instructional staff working with students one-on-one to propel them toward success or one of our support staff members working tirelessly to ensure the FLVS journey is the cutting-edge experience you’d expect from the industry leader, all of us at FLVS work with a common commitment in mind – the student is at the center of every decision we make. FLVS employees are passionate about delivering high-quality digital learning on a robust online platform to achieve content mastery for student success.
Our employees enjoy competitive salaries, a well-rounded benefits package, paid time off (including holidays, vacation, and sick leave), and an array of professional development opportunities. We’re always looking to add to our team of more than 3,000 dedicated professionals who are leading online education worldwide with transformative digital solutions – personalized to every student.
Instructor‐ 12 Month ($57,000/annual)
- Plan, prepare, and implement instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences
- Identify, select, create and modify instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs
- Assist in assessing changing curricular needs and offer plans for improvement
- Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures
- Provide a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process
- Communicate with students, parents, and internal and external professionals within established timelines
- Collaborate with peers to enhance the instructional environment for students by participating in activities which include, but are not limited to, team teaching, meetings, staff development, communities of practice, and various committees
- Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community members
- Ensure that student growth and achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or program classification
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, parents, schools, and colleagues measured by FLVS district/school survey results
- Meet specific course and school-wide student performance goals
- Demonstrate gains in student performance
- Participate in research and presentations about online teaching; this may include activities such as, authoring articles, hosting workshops, sharing of information for professional growth, and student outreach events and activities
- Participate in blended learning models, which includes both on-line and classroom instruction and interaction with students at various schools and districts across the state; may be required to report to an assigned school
- May be responsible for instructional tutoring
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as, meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrate respect for others
- All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established
- (These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required.)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid Florida Professional Teaching Certificate in content area assigned OR proof of active enrollment in a stated-approved EPI or MAT program AND either a valid Florida state-issued Statement of Eligibility OR valid Temporary Certificate in content area assigned.
- Endorsements as required by Florida Department of Education
- One year successful teaching experience within subject area OR successful completion of an FLVS instructional internship program OR current enrollment in an approved EPI or MAT program
- Three years’ teaching experience, preferred
- Operational knowledge of the Internet and Web-related technologies
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Work independently with little direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate on group projects and work as part of a team
- Must be responsible, accountable and self-motivated
- Demonstrated strong work ethic to achieve school goals
- Display effective prioritizing, organizing, and time-management skills; ability to meet aggressive deadlines
- Ability to learn and apply all required and recommended FLVS computer applications to create efficiency and consistency in internal workflows and instructional practices
- Demonstrated ability to successfully support the FLVS core competencies, values, and expectation for student-centered behaviors
Clearly and effectively conveys and/or presents information verbally; summarizes what was heard to mitigate miscommunication; Shares ideas and perspectives and encourages others to do the same; Informs others involved in a project of new developments; Disseminates information to other employees, as appropriate; Effectively uses multiple channels to communicate important messages; Keeps supervisor well informed about progress and/or problems in a timely manner; Writes in a clear, concise, organized and convincing way for a variety of target audiences; The written message is consistently error-free; The written message has the desired effect on the target audience
Prioritizes customers (internal and external) and their needs as primary and is dedicated to meeting their expectations; Develops and maintains customer relationships; builds credibility and trust; Quickly and effectively solves customer problems; Provides prompt, attentive service in a cheerful manner; adapts to changing information, conditions or challenges with a positive attitude; Incorporates customer feedback into delivery of service to provide the best experience possible for the customer; Actively promotes FLVS in community by serving as a FLVS ambassador or volunteer
Relates well with others; Treats others with respect; Shares views in a tactful way; Demonstrates diplomacy by approaching others about sensitive issues in non-threatening ways; Considers and responds appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of others; Fosters an environment conducive to open, transparent communication among all levels and positions; Takes the initiative to get to know internal and external customers
FUNCTIONAL /TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
Has the skills, abilities, knowledge and experience to be successful in functional area of expertise; Dedicates time and energy to keeping abreast of the latest information related to area of expertise and technology; Picks up on technology quickly; Does well in technical courses and seminars; Produces high quality work in organized and timely fashion
DIRECTOR COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
LEARNING ON THE FLY
Learns quickly when facing new problems; Is a voracious learner; Analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; Experiments and will try anything to find solutions; Seeks out the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; Quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of most anything
Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, with peers, direct reports, and bosses; Is effective both inside and outside the organization, on both cool data and hot and controversial topics; Commands attention and can manage group process during the presentation; Can change tactics midstream when something isn’t working
Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; Quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; Can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; Eliminates roadblocks; Creates focus
BUSINESS & FINANCIAL ACUMEN
Knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting his/her business and organization; Knows the competition; Understands and communicates the goals, objectives, competencies, and metrics associated with business success; Understands and applies knowledge of key organizational business drivers; Keeps abreast of the overall performance of the organization and adjusts allocation of finances based on progress against goals; Sets priorities by aligning organizational finances with strategic goals; Fosters an environment that encourages fiscal responsibility
Is cool under pressure; Does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; Can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; Handles stress well; Is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; Doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; Is a settling influence in a crisis; Consistently behaves in a professional manner
DEALING WITH AMBIGUITY
Effectively copes with change; Can shift gears comfortably; Can decide and act without having the total picture; Isn’t upset when things are up in the air; Doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; Can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
Frequency of travel: Frequent travel is required for meetings, trainings, and conferences; location may vary and may require overnight stays
Light physical activities and efforts required working in an office environment