Location: Morningside Campus at Columbia New York
The Institutional Research Analyst provides reliable and accurate information in support of transparent, evidence-based planning and decision-making for Columbia Engineering Academic Programs. The Institutional Research Analyst is responsible for developing, managing and maintaining reports and data-driven processes and applications for analysis related to admissions, academics, and other reporting for all academic programs, graduate admissions and Columbia’s online programs. The incumbent will use varied data sources to retrieve data, perform analysis and assessment, and report on that data.
- (30%) Provide on-demand data and reports on both graduate and undergraduate academic matters for both regularly required data as well as ad-hoc requests for data from various stakeholders. Respond quickly to user requests and provide ad-hoc reports and datasets in response to requests from various departments. The IR Analyst will collect/extract, maintain, analyze/interpret, and generate reports on institutional data. Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets using statistical techniques.
- (25%) Extract data from Student Information System and other university managed data systems using SQL for various requests for information. Quickly assess user needs and translate into clear and concise data requirements to ensure data and reports are provided in a timely fashion. Maintain documentation in the form of code and solutions for transmission to other data users.
- (15%) Develop quality control systems to proactively determine risks, identify database discrepancies and work with various datasets to execute reconciliation with data and provide accurate and detailed reports. Supports new initiatives to create and maintain robust accountability systems including the development of assessment tools.
- (10%) Maintain various survey process which includes distributing the instruments, making regular updates at the request of academics, ensure proper documentation for any changes, maintain consistency between survey tool and database, produce reports and ad hoc data requests based upon various data, and seek ways to streamline the processes already in place. Administer regularly scheduled and ad hoc surveys/participant research and report results. Develop a level of expertise with qualitative data collection and analysis.
- (10%) Prepare reports and presentations for various different audiences using data collected and analyzed. Prepare and present data to various audiences using tables, charts, and narrative reports in a way that stakeholders can easily understand. Produce dashboards and reports that visualize data, making them easily translatable and useful for business decisions. Facilitate processes that translate data into actionable insights in order to solve problems, provide insight, and optimize operational processes and improve efficiency.
- (5%) Participate in evaluating new technologies so as to ensure the advancement of best practices and business intelligence needs. Assist with planning, development and implementation of strategic initiatives for the Academic Programs office as required.
- (5%) Performs other tasks, duties, and responsibilities as required
- 2-4 years related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, data science, social sciences or a related field required (Master’s preferred).
- Demonstrated data management skills including the ability to manage large data sets.
- Competency with SQL (joins, aggregate functions, subqueries) and advanced proficiency in Excel/GoogleSheets. Some experience with statistical software (such as SPSS, STATA, SAS, or R) and/or Python desirable.
- Skill and experience with descriptive statistics, large data sets, and qualitative research methods.
- Advanced knowledge of data visualization for presentation (e.g. PowerPoint, GoogleSlides, Canva, etc).
- Strong attention to detail, flexible, and ability to work well independently.
- Experience in higher education, particularly in an institutional research office, is also desirable.
- Proficiency in organizing and reporting data with strong attention to detail and accuracy and ability to solve complex research methodology. Experience in interpreting and evaluating research results.
- Positive, mission-oriented, forward-thinking attitude and sense of humor a must.