About the Company:
Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
This position provides reference in gardening and horticulture and performs circulation duties. On Call Librarians are responsible for independently opening and closing the library, following established protocols, and maintaining library services for staff and patrons. In addition, the Librarian supports library volunteers, responds to patron requests, and works on additional projects as assigned.
- Provides reference services to patrons of all ages in person, by telephone, and email.
- Performs circulation duties including but not limited to check-ins, check-outs, creating patron records, and managing patron fees.
- Records accurate reference, visitation, and other statistics.
- Conducts accurate book shelving and shelf searches.
- Operates used book sale effectively and accurately.
- Participates in ongoing and project-based initiatives to further the mission of the library.
- Autonomously opens and closes the library in a punctual manner.
- Assists with special events or programs that involve the library as assigned.
- Works with all departments to assure highest quality experience for all Denver Botanic Gardens visitors.
- Maintains satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and others.
- Maintains a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Regular attendance at the worksite may be required. As with all positions at DBG, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.
- Must have proven excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills in dealing with the public.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and able to deal well with stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans when necessary, throughout the day.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook and Teams.
- The position requires public services skills, attention to detail, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to maintain accurate records, files and schedules.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work overtime as necessary.
- Must be a positive representative of DBG both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- High school diploma / GED and/or combination of education and equivalent experience is required.
- Progress towards a library science or information science degree preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in a library setting and operating library system software; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!