Location: Haleyville, AL
As a community of over 900 researchers, practitioners, consultants, and administrative professionals from all backgrounds and life experiences, we are committed to making a qualitative difference in the lives of youth, children, and adults. We conduct and apply research, develop evidence-based solutions, and provide consulting services across the country in both rural and urban communities to improve equitable outcomes for individuals from infancy through adulthood. Serving as trusted partners in the areas of education, health, and justice, our teams enhance capacity within communities and school districts to prioritize impact — asking the right questions, customizing methodologies, developing relevant tools, and implementing best practices specific to a diverse range of stakeholder needs.
Furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion is core to who we are and how we work. We are committed to working with our clients to illuminate and address disparities, value and elevate diverse voices, and ensure equitable access to our resources and services.
SPECIAL NOTICE REGARDING THE WORK LOCATION OF THIS POSITION—Although WestEd provides the option of working at one of its facilities for employees, many roles allow employees to choose to work remotely for their own convenience. The decision to allow remote work at the employee’s convenience is based on the requirements of the position or project in question.
WestEd is seeking to hire child assessors to administer literacy assessments to elementary school students in winter 2023 (approximately mid-to late-January through February). An additional assessment opportunity will be available in the spring. The assessments will include reading tasks such as identifying letters and words and reading aloud to the test administrator.
In addition to test administration time, successful candidates must complete human subjects research (CITI) certification, training on the assessment instrument and protocols, and district screening processes prior to administering assessments.
Successful candidates will be paid for all training and time conducting assessments and associated research activities. Travel mileage will also be paid. This is a temporary position. Seeking applicants to fill multiple positions. Successful candidates can expect to work 25-30 hours per week during the time assessments are being conducted.
Core Focus Areas
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting direct assessments with elementary school students in Boston (MA) schools.
- Adhering to all study procedures and processes and follow direction and feedback of study supervisors.
- Completing required CITI Human Subjects Research online certification and other study or district screening requirements, such as fingerprinting and health questionnaire.
- Following WestEd procedures for submitting mileage reimbursement and timesheets. Responsible for own transportation.
- Securely handling testing materials and student information according to study guidelines.
What We’re Looking For
- Some college required. B.A. or higher in Psychology, Child Development, Education, or related field preferred.
- Experience working with children in school or non-school-based settings preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills. Professionalism in working with children, teachers, administrators, and WestEd colleagues.
- Fluency in English.
- Valid driver’s license, insurance, and access to reliable personal transportation to school sites.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
- Current CITI Social/Behavioral Human Subjects Research and Information Privacy and Security certification or ability to complete in early January 2023.
- Prior experience conducting assessments with elementary school children ideal but not required. Candidates without this experience will be trained.
- Must be available in January 2023 for training and to conduct assessments during regular school hours during the assessment period in January/February 2023.
*Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary for this temporary role is $25 per hour.